Friday, October 1, 2010

Last Speed Workout

Two weeks is too long to go without getting any speed work in, especially since all my runs have slowed now that I'm deep into my taper. After four days of alternating 6,7 mile runs, I set out to do 3 x mile today in faster than race pace, but not threshold--no use in injuring myself. My left glute is still a little sore so I also didn't want to over extend there.

I jogged 2.5 miles south on Lakeshore, then after a few strides went right into mile 1. I hit a comfortably fast pace right off the bat and didn't want to push it too fast--finished the first mile in 5:08, then went into a 4 minute jog. After I was four miles from home, I flipped and went into mile 2 heading North. I managed to lift a little more and came through in 5:04, then had some stomach problems (not sure why) and stopped into a bathroom before #3. The third leg was going great until about 200m to go when my stomach cramped up on me again so I had to stop. My Garmin said I was 5:05 pace so I'll just call it that. After another pit stop, I jogged the remaining 1.6 miles home and stretched down.

I keep getting groupons and coupons in my mailbox for discounted good and services, so I clipped a massage coupon and got a final pre-race massage following my run for pretty cheap $. My glute is feeling much better and my cough is almost gone, hopefully by mid-next week I'll be 100%. Nice easy day: 2.5 miles warm up, 5:08, 5:04, 5:05, 1.6 miles cool down, 8 miles for the day, 34 for the week so far. Tomorrow is an off-day as I travel to D.C. for a wedding, then an easy 9-10 miles on Sunday and rest up to the marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment