Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Interval Workout - Still feeling yesterday

Went to the track to do the usual Tuesday night Cal Coast Workout. Got there 45 minutes early to make sure I loosened up my calf, which was still cramping. I was actually gimping around the office most of the day so running may have been a stupid idea. My running shoes immediately relieved most of the pressure on my upper calves. I guess this is why you should not run in Allen Edmonds. Kept the warm-ups on longer than usual to keep warm and after 3 miles of jogging on the grass, 20 minutes of stretching and lots of strides, managed to loosen up enough to run without a noticeable limp.

Workout today was a 2000, then 6x500. I was going to take it very slow but as soon as I got going, running 70s still just felt very comfortable. Ran basically 70-71 for each lap and finished with a very controlled 5:54. We took about 3:30 recovery after before the 500's. I told myself I would take it easy on the 500's, but some younger guys jumped in with us and tried to push the pace, so while I was hoping to hit the 400 no faster than 68, my ego got in the way and we started at 66. My 500's were 85, 84, 83, 82, 81, with about 2:30-3:00 rest in between each one. After the 4th interval my left hip flexor started getting very warm and felt like it was starting to pull so I tried to keep myself smooth. I knew I probably shouldn't have even started the last interval, but I was stupid and did. Came through 200 in 30, which felt easy except each stride became one closer to a snapped hip flexor and no running for 2 weeks so I eased off after 200 and dropped. Ran two miles on grass afterward and felt a little better by the time I drove home. Overall, good workout, 8 mile day. Calves and hamstrings are feeling this workout and yesterday's swim and I'm icing like crazy.

Food: I had a large burrito at Chipotle grill (no beans) for lunch without horrendous consequences. Still, probably will not do this again before a track workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment