Friday, August 20, 2010

Back in the USA for one blog

I have been in Spain since my last blog and while I'm not going to write a whole blog about Spain, I will report that I ran 63 miles last week and despite some residual discomfort in my right heel from my 70+ mile weeks, I'm still in one piece. Given how busy I've been, the mileage is down a bit and will be next week while I am in Costa Rica.

Today I ran the longest run of my life, 18 miles. I made the mistake of waiting until 11 am to get going despite getting up at 6 am due to jet lag issues. Additionally, I barely ate before my run except for some cheerios sans milk and a few grapes. I was doing fine for about 9 miles, but then dehydration hit and my body didn't have enough fuel to keep going. My pace didn't slow, but I probably could have come home much quicker if my body had some fuel to burn. Total time for the run was 2 hours, 18.15 miles at 6:37 average. The one bonus was that my body felt completely trashed over the last 4-5 miles and I was able to maintain 6:30's without much effort, so I have that going for me.

Tomorrow I'm going to Costa Rica for a week and will run as much as possible, but I expect the week's festivities will once again provide a welcome recovery period. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment