Monday, August 2, 2010

Time Trial with Sea King Running

I ran my body ragged last week, but I'm still healthy and alive to talk about it. Last Friday Coach Sumner told me the high school kids were doing a 3-mile time trial today, so I was bracing for a long tempo. I took yesterday completely off, which helped a lot, but my hips are still really sore from Catalina. Today's plan was a long warm-up, time trial, then another 10-15 minute tempo. Coach changed the workout to just a 2-mile time trial, which was a relief, because I could just double it and go 2 x 2 mile again today--only faster than usual.

After a 3-mile warm-up, we were off and running. Predictably, the kids went out waaaaay too fast and came through the first 800 in 2:25. After that they pretty much slowed down to 5:20 pace. Splits for the first leg were 5:03, 5:20 (10:23). The whole team was together at the 1-mile turnaround, but they were real strung out over the 2nd mile. After taking the leader in, I took a short 5 minute jog and started up on leg two. I wanted to keep this one at 10:40 or below but keep the splits even if possible. Kept it controlled over the first mile and still came through in 5:11, then came home in 5:15 for 10:26. Afterwards, I headed back out towards the shake-shack to meet up with the guys for their 5-mile cool-down.

Today's workout: 3 mile warm-up, 10:23, 10:26, 5 mile cool-down. 12 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment