Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Interval Workout

This afternoon I headed to the track for the first time in over a month. Today's workout: 12 x 400 meters with 1 minute recovery (3 sets of 4, jog lap in between each set). I ran a junk 30 minutes/4+ miles this morning since I've been feeling good and am traveling this weekend so I'm unlikely to get much running in. I wasn't feeling the effects of my A.M. jog as I warmed up 2 miles around CdMHS. Heather ran some laps to keep me company during the warm-up and drills. My goal for the day was to keep the first set around 68-70s then drop down to 64-66 for the rest, maybe quicker at the end if I felt good. I cranked out the following splits:

69.8, 68.2, 67.7, 68.2, 65.5, 65.8, 65.2, 66.2, 65.6, 64.7, 65.4, 66.6

I got tired on the last couple repeats and lost my form on the last 100 meters, but otherwise I was quite happy with the workout. I felt strong most of the way and didn't lose my form as intervals progressed. I hit a groove from #'s 5-10 where I felt like I was floating. It would have been nice if that last interval was somewhere below 65 seconds, but oh well, it was my first 400 workout in quite some time. I cooled down 3 miles without too much discomfort, giving me 8 miles for the workout and 12 for the day. Definitely a success since I did not get injured and kept a respectable pace.


No comments:

Post a Comment