Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Museum Day

After 9 hours of sleep last night (first time that has happened in months), I awoke to BBMs from my family at 7 am. I headed out the door by 8 a.m, track spikes in hand, 1000 forints (entry fee) buried in my shoe, and ran to Margitsziget Island for a light track workout. After a 3 mile warm up, I went straight into 4 x 400 meter repeats in my training shoes, and clocked off 67, 65, 63, 61, with 1 lap jog in between each. Then, I laced up the track spikes for 4 x 200 meters, hoping the spikes wouldnt rip my calves apart. I clicked off 31, 29, 28, 28, and never felt like I really over reached, and my calves are happy to be in one piece. I jogged two miles home, good for 8 total today.

I took my sweet time cooling off and eating breakfast, then relaxed for a bit and headed out for a Museum day on the Pest side of town. I took the yellow line uptown to the Müscarnok, which had a modern art exhibit on the artistic representation of the post-Soviet economic development. It was an interesting exhibit, but I am not a huge modern art person so I wasnt blow away. Probably stayed for about an hour, then headed across the square to the Szépmüvésti Múseum (Fine Arts Museum) which is actually quite spectacular. The building is constantly under repair because it was shelled during WWII, and they left a skylight where the hole was. The museum also boasts a big time list of Renaisance and Impressionist artists, including Raphael, Goya, Monet, Renoire to name a few. There was also a B version of the Last Supper (LDV wasnt the only person to paint one). I was pleased to follow along with a Dutch tour guide who led an English tour for two hours. However, I would only rate her art history knowledge at a B-.

For lunch, I just ate another Margherita Pizza and beer in Vosmarty Square, and will probably venture over to Buda tonight or take a boat up river. Tomorrow Im meeting up with the Allianz sports group.

No comments:

Post a Comment