Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scenic Views, Buda Castle, Moving Day

Yesterday around sunset I crossed the Danú (Danube) over to Buda and took the tram up to Buda Castle. I have clearly been spending too much time on the Pest side because I was amazed by the spectacular views (photos coming next week). Unfortunately, most of the shops were closed because it was so late, but I decided to devote my morning and lunch to exploring further.

I had dinner at the Italian Trattoria outside my hotel. The food continues to impress. Afterwards, I got another double flavor gelato shaped like a rose. It another long day so I headed up to the room around 11, and tried to read myself to sleep. What I didnt realize at the time, was that the AC was busted in my hotel, and I woke up around 2 am in a deep sweat. I killed time by BBMing with the fam in Hawaii and finishing my book (around 4:30) and finally passed out from exhaustion.

I woke up two hours later and left a little earlier than usual for an easy 7 mile run. I headed up to Gellért park/monument, probably about 300 feet above the Danú, enjoyed the view for a minute, then continued on up and down the river. The drivers here are quite nice though I did almost get hit by a car. Almost. It also relieving to have my first run without stomach issues, which means I am finally adjusted to Hungarian/Italian cooking.

After the run I packed up my stuff, showered, ate, stopped in the Basílika for the first time (it is 100 yards from my hotel), and headed back across the bridge and up to the Buda Castle. It is quite a scene up there, and there are numerous photo ops. I paid entrance to the art exhibit-museum which was a decent value for 1900 forints. There was a special exhibit by Kovásnai, who made experimental animation films from his paintings, usually pertaining to culture and society. No photogrophy allowed but I managed to sneak a few anyway. American stereotypes: I propogate them.

I wandered around the bluff for a bit and stopped into a local sandwhich shop I noticed last night. I had a light lunch so I ordered the caprese salad, a burger (Hungarian beef is quite good, but the fixings are weak), and an ice cream sundae. They seem to love ice cream sundaes here. Every place I go they have specialty sundaes on the menu. This particular sundae was delicous, and was photographed so it will be up later. Now I am headed back to the Central Basílika near my hotel to get my stuff and move into the nicer Danubius on the Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment