Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week in Review

No blogging for a week! Have no fear my dozens of readers, the dream is still alive. Time for a relatively quick week in review:

Friday morning, I woke up super early and ran an easy 90 minutes up and back along Back Bay Road (par for the course lately) and ended up meeting Kaz about 40 minutes in, so slowed down to 7:30 miles for most of the run. Despite my humungous Mastro's Dinner the night before, no stomach problems, maybe I should eat there more often. Book it as 12 miles for the day and 52 for the week (in 5 days of running), my highest weekly mileage yet. Later that day a sore Josh and fam piled in the car and drove to Yosemite for a quick family vacation.

This is primarily a training blog, but I would consider our Half Dome hike somewhat of a workout. I led the fam up the hill in just under four hours, probably record time for us, and nearly broke my parents in the process (sorry!). Half Dome was very slippery near the cables sections and the final ascent was about 90% arms, 10% legs. My shoulders are still sore from the effort. Mom and I posed for a picture on near the edge, then we headed down. We took our sweet time getting down the moutain, stopping at waterfalls, etc, but when we got back the buses were no running for some reason so we decided to walk back to the hotel. I ended up leading my family an extra 3-4 miles (20 miles total) before we finally caught a bus. Sorry family.

(photo: Mom and me at the top of Half Dome)


I took July 4th off and we headed back to Newport Beach fairly early to watch fireworks.

On Monday, despite having the day off from work, I woke up at 6 a.m. and went for an 8 mile run up and back along Back Bay Road, and had Anne join me on her road bike. She loved it because her bike idles at 10 mph so she barely had to pedal. Call it 8 miles in 6:45 pace, though I picked it up over the last two miles. Afterwards, I went for a 20 mile leisurely bike ride with Anne, Rachel, and my dad. Sad to see Anne fly back to NYC, but nice family weekend.

Tuesday I ran with the high school kids for the first time this summer. We went an easy 5 miles at 8 min pace. I didn't really care about pace since this was just a precursor to my afternoon workout. I met Heather at the track at 5:30 and warmed up for my interval workout. During the last mile of my warm-up I tried to pace her through an 8-minute mile on the track. We were on pace through 1200m but fell off a bit at the end for an 8:24. Baby Steps, but she'll be below 8 by the end of July. Funniest part was watching Coach Sumner's reaction when she told him that time.

Anyways, last week I went for anaerobic and strength. This week I wanted something short and quick, so I decided to run 4 x 600 minutes with 3 minutes recovery. I had planned to trying to negative split the workout (1:39 down to 1:33 by the end), but got a little carried away on the first rep and ran 1:35.4, a little too fast. The second rep was nearly identical in 1:35.6, which left me huffing and puffing with 2 to go. Interval 3 was a little rough, and I tried to even-split it instead of going out in 30-31 like I did on the previous two, so I ended up running consecutive 32's for 1:36.2, but I really had to muscle through this one. Second-to-last interval is always the hardest, because it's really easy to trick my mind into sucking it up for one last rep. My last 600 was back at 1:35 and fairly even split. It took me a few minutes to get my legs back, and I opted out of 4x200's (I even brought my spikes for that part) and cooled down 2 miles (6 miles this evening, 11 for the day).

Back to today. This morning I set for an easy 10 miles in this crap July Newport Beach weather we've been having. Bummer because I was planning on having Rachel join me on the bike but it was too wet. Jammed out 10 averaging 6:40 pace, very easy considering I pushed it last night. On track so far for another solid week of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment