Friday, April 2, 2010

3-Day weekend: Part 1

Looking to take full advantage of my day off, I woke up at 7 to meet Karen at the track for our rescheduled tempo run at 8. Since it was an off-day, and I had time to stretch down and rest, I decided to do the full 10 miles with Karen, who will be racing Boston later this month. We started off on our usual 2-mile warm-up, during which I learned Karen didn't even start running until age 26, when we decided to pop in the Melbourne Marathon and won in 2:53. So it's not too late for twenty-somethings to pick up the sport! I think she was a little fired up today since it was her last tempo before Boston because the splits were much quicker than last week. Her Garmin spit out the following mile splits: 6:29, 6:23, 6:08, 6:15, 6:02, 6:06, 6:11, 6:04, 6:05, 6:18 (average pace was 6:13). As usual, the last mile was a little slow given the 30 foot elevation gain. My 7th mile was actually 5:20, because I made a quick pit stop and had to catch up. I still need to work on my stomach issues, which are constantly a problem during workouts, but never during races. 12 miles total today, my longest run in at least a year.

I wanted to take full advantage of the day off so met Blake at the pool 30 minutes later. I also wanted to start experimenting with food intake, because I habitually cramp up when I swim, so I need to figure out a way to avoid this (aside from not kicking as hard). I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a Gatorade and oatmeal raisin Power Bar. These worked wonders as my legs never came close to cramping during the pool session. I warmed up 200 meters and then we started the workout Julie recommended yesterday: 1600 build-up. First you need to figure out a 50 meter pace (40 seconds). Then do 8 x 50m at that pace with a 10 second recovery. Then 4 x 100m with the same net time (laps a little slower, but same recovery), then 2 x 200m, and finish with 1 x 400m. After this, Blake and I sprinted 2 x 50m which we won easily, then I cooled down and called it a day--2000 yards it the pool today. I rewarded myself afterward with a Jamba Juice smoothie for breakfast.

I was very encouraged that after 12 miles and 2000 yards in the pool my legs did not cramp. I going to try my first ocean swim of the year on Sunday. The plan is to duplicate the power bar intake and light Gatorade beforehand. Hopefully that will get me through at least a 45 minute ocean swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment