Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The best part about training for a triathlon...

...is that for the disciple I'm not good at (swimming), the progress comes in giant leaps, not baby steps, like running. After an easy 45 minute run this morning (7 miles, 6:25 average), I headed to the pool with Jay after work. I once again stopped at the grocery store for my oatmeal raisin power bar and Gatorade, and nibbled a bit before jumping in the pool. I wanted to do the same workout I did last Friday (1600 build-up), only significantly faster and with less rest.

Success. After a 200 yard warm-up, I cruised through my 8 50's in 38-40 seconds taking only 10 seconds rest on each. The 4 x 100 repeats were all 1:30 with 15 seconds, and in complete control. Both 200's were right around 3:10, and I got through the last 400 in 6:25. All splits were 2-10 seconds faster than last Friday, and I was significantly less winded. After I finished the build up, I cooled down an easy 200, then 100, then decided I had enough energy for 2 x 50 yard sprints (both about 33 seconds). I cooled down a few more laps and hopped out of the pool for a 2400 yard day. Once again no cramps and minimal use of my legs. My shoulders and arms feel great, and it's obviously very encouraging to know I'm getting faster every time I get in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment