Thursday, April 1, 2010

All is right in my world


I need to elaborate on this UPS situation since a few people have chuckled about it. This actually started yesterday with Citibank, when I got a voice message saying "my Citi card has been compromised." I went online to check my activity and didn't see anything abnormal, but had a message online saying Citi was "investigating some suspicious account activity." These are two similar, but distinctly different messages. I called Citi, and the first person I spoke with confirmed that my card had been deactivated, but she would not tell me why. We went back and forth on this for a while until I got her supervisor on the line who finally confirmed for me that Citi fouled up and someone had hacked their server and had access to my account number. They deactivated my card and informed me I would receive a new one in 24 to 48 hours. I calmly explained to the supervisor that if it took any longer than 24 hours for me to get a new card, I would soon be a proud new client of Visa.

So I'm without a credit card for the day, which is fine, but I go home, and I'm expecting a UPS package waiting at my front door. The contents of this package contained a TYR triathlon backpack, new goggles (they are awesome BTW!), and body glide for my wet suit. I basically had to re-enact the Citi conversation with a few UPS people. We re-worked the delivery schedule and I may have mentioned if they left a note on my door again I would refuse the package and they wouldn't get paid. It's only $7 but it's the principle of the matter! So what was waiting for me today when I got home? A new credit card, and five minutes later, a UPS delivery. For now, all is right in my world.

Training wise it was a pretty good day. I woke up and ran an easy 41 minutes (or approximately 6+ miles). Ran around Balboa Island and added some junk time down by the Newport Dunes. It's a mostly flat concrete/asphalt run, actually terrible for my knees, but at least its a different route. I wore the half tights today, which was very beneficial for my hamstrings, even though it was fairly warm.

After work I drove out to Tustin to have my second swim lesson with Julie Ertel. Julie is a stud, 2008 Olympian, and by far the best triathlete I know (here's her bio: http://www.usatriathlon.org/athletes/julie-ertel). She drilled the crap out of me for an hour and once again I came away feeling so much faster. I'll probably go nuts in the pool tomorrow with the hope that some of this sticks. We did a lot of work on my breathing, pacing, and sighting without losing too much speed. This is my weakest part of ocean swimming as I frequently veer off in random directions when I swim by myself. Approximately 1000 yards in the pool, but more so it was a quality session. Three-day weekend upcoming which means some ridiculous training days ahead, starting with 10-12 with Karen tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment