Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Taper Time

This knee thing is still there, but hey at least it means I have to force myself to taper. I went to the track after work today, not sure what to expect. As has been the case throughout the past week, my right knee still wasn't cooperating. I kept the warm-ups on and decided to go at whatever pace was comfortable (somewhere between 8-9 minute pace). Fortunately, Karen was in the same boat, still in recovery mode from the Boston Marathon. We ran about 7 loops around the grass perimeter of Corona del Mar High School, then I went off on my own for another two miles on the Eastbluff grass loop. I ended up jogging 55 minutes, about 7 miles, with about 95% of it on grass. As my knee loosened up, I also settled in at around a 7 minute mile pace, which was slightly encouraging.

I have been icing on and off for the past three hours and Karen and Damien are letting me use their ice bath over the next two days before I leave for San Francisco. Hopefully between the treatment and rest I should nip this thing before Sunday. Regardless, I should be able to compete well enough on adrenaline.

No comments:

Post a Comment